Saturday, January 27, 2018

WELCOMING CEREMONY!

Jan.22, 2018 (Monday)


This is the day I and my fellow Filipino exchange students were formally welcomed to Universitas Lampung, Bandar Lampung. We were fetched from our dorms and experienced a rather wonderful entrance to the rector building. Several men stood on each side of the entrance and played drums the size of tambourines as we entered the building. It was quite thrilling.

The welcoming program made me feel very special. We were provided some fancy looking snacks and we watched UNILA's (Universitas Lampung) promotional video. We were also briefed on the things we needed to know about the city of Lampung. There was even a traditional dance performance for us.



After that, we had a photo shoot then we met with our Cooperating Teachers and Headmasters (principals) who were also present with us. My CT's name is Ms. Linda. It was obvious to me that she was P.E. teacher because of her outfit. I also met my student buddies, Dani and Susan, who were very friendly right on the spot.




Together with them, I went with Ms. Linda to the school where I will be observing and teaching, which is SMA YP UNILA. It is related to the university of Lampung. But before that, they took me to lunch and thus I had my second Indonesian meal, Bakso. It was a kind of soup with noodles and really big flavorful meatballs.

Soon we arrived at SMA YP UNILA. I still have no idea what the abbreviations mean. I was introduced to countless teachers, who welcomed me and complemented me countless times.

I was also introduced to a class that proved to be very welcoming and fun-loving. They asked me so many questions and I felt like a celebrity.





They did "salim" to me, which is the equivalent of "mano" in the Philippines. They even lined up, so all of them could do it. "My goodness," I thought. Now this is a one-of-a-kind experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment